
Trump orders reduced military drills with South Korea, citing 'very good relationship' with Kim Jong Un
President Donald Trump ordered Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to 'significantly reduce' joint Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises with South Korea, citing his relationship with Kim Jong Un and Seoul's refusal to join anti-Iran denuclearization efforts.
Trump orders reduction of joint drills
US President Donald Trump announced on Sunday via Truth Social that he has ordered Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to "significantly reduce" joint military exercises with South Korea. Trump cited his "very good relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as the primary reason, arguing that the drills send "a completely inappropriate and hostile signal" to a country that, in his words, "does not pose a threat and shows respect" since he became president. The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are scheduled for 17-27 August and involve approximately 18,000 soldiers from both countries. Trump said it was "already too late to cancel" the exercises, so he opted to scale them back instead.
Given my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un of North Korea, I am not pleased that the United States long ago agreed to participate in joint military exercises with South Korea.
Trump also noted that the exercises are costly, with the United States bearing a significant portion of the expense "as usual."
Seoul's response and the Iran factor
In his post, Trump revealed that he had previously asked South Korean President Lee Jae-myung whether Seoul would join the United States "in a process of denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran." The South Korean leader declined. This refusal appears to have been a factor in Trump's decision to reduce US involvement in the joint drills. South Korea's defense ministry responded on Monday, stating that the annual joint military exercises are "proceeding normally." The ministry said the Ulchi Freedom Shield maneuvers, involving about 18,000 troops from both nations, are "so far proceeding according to plan," despite Trump's announcement.
- South Korean President Lee Jae-myung proposes dialogue with Pyongyang to end the state of war
- Trump posts on Truth Social ordering Pete Hegseth to significantly reduce joint exercises with South Korea
- South Korea's defense ministry says Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are proceeding normally
- Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises scheduled, involving about 18,000 soldiers from both countries
Pyongyang's posture and diplomatic backdrop
Pyongyang has regularly condemned the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, describing them as direct preparations for an armed invasion of North Korea. North Korea recently threatened to raise its deterrence measures to a "new level." On Saturday, South Korean President Lee Jae-myung proposed dialogue with Pyongyang aimed at ending the state of war that has formally lasted over 70 years. The Korean conflict, begun in 1950 by a North Korean attack, ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty. Pyongyang has consistently rejected Lee's proposals, and North Korea has repeatedly declared its nuclear state status as "irreversible."
Background of Trump-Kim engagement
Trump has frequently spoken positively about his contacts with the North Korean leader. In August of last year, he said he "has good relations" with Kim Jong Un and expressed anticipation about meeting him again. He claimed to know the North Korean leader "better than almost anyone." Negotiations initiated by Trump after the last summit with Kim Jong Un in Hanoi in 2019 ended in failure due to disagreements over denuclearization and the lifting of sanctions. North Korea has maintained that its nuclear status is irreversible, complicating any future diplomatic efforts.


