
Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it obstructs Strait of Hormuz deal with Iran
President Donald Trump warned the United States would bomb Oman if it obstructs an agreement on the Strait of Hormuz, as a 60-day ceasefire with Iran expired and Tehran announced a transit deal with Muscat.
Trump threatens Oman over Strait of Hormuz
President Donald Trump warned on Monday, August 17, that the United States would bomb Oman if the country obstructs an agreement on the Strait of Hormuz. In a phone interview with Fox News journalist Trey Yingst, Trump responded to a question about ongoing discussions between Iran and Oman over the strategic waterway, which the two countries have been conducting for several weeks without US participation.
If Oman gets in our way, we'll bomb the hell out of them.
Iran-Oman negotiations exclude Washington
Iran and Oman have been negotiating about managing maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's principal oil and gas transit routes. Oman, a traditionally neutral country, shares sovereignty over the strait with Iran, and shipping routes pass through its territorial waters. Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei told journalists in Tehran that an agreement had been reached on transit route mapping, according to AP. Leaked details suggest the plan would reopen the strait, with ships entering via a route close to Iran and exiting via a route close to Oman, transiting without fees or tolls during a transitional period. Iran stated the two countries are working on finalizing a joint declaration as part of a broader package. The stated goal is to establish a mechanism guaranteeing the sovereign rights of both coastal states while allowing safe passage for merchant vessels.
- War triggered by joint US and Israeli strikes against Iran; Iran retaliates against Gulf allies of Washington; US imposes blockade on Iranian ports
- 60-day provisional ceasefire and memorandum of understanding established between US and Iran, stipulating strait reopening and sanctions easing
- Trump announces he will designate the Strait of Hormuz as US territory once he has 'finished beating Iran'
- 60-day MOU expires; Trump threatens to bomb Oman; Iran announces agreement with Oman on transit route mapping
Sixty-day ceasefire expires
Trump's remarks came as the 60-day memorandum of understanding between Washington and Tehran expired on Monday. A provisional ceasefire had been in effect since June 17, also stipulating the reopening of the strait and an easing of US sanctions against Iran. Iran says the ceasefire became void because the US conducted new attacks weeks after signing it. Baghaei stated that no new discussions had taken place regarding the strait and sanctions, and that the 60-day deadline had become caduc.
The Islamic Republic never decides its policy under pressure, ultimatums, or imposed deadlines.
He attributed the failure of negotiations to an inadequate vision, errors of judgment, and the obstinacy of the American government in using methods and approaches that have already proven their ineffectiveness many times.
Trump demands Iranian capitulation
Trump called on Tehran's leaders to raise the white flag of capitulation while claiming that discussions continue, according to Fox. He said he was not in a hurry to reach a peace deal and that November's midterm elections do not change anything about his thinking. Yingst also reported that Trump confirmed the existence of a secret communication channel with the IRGC, with Washington officials speaking directly with IRGC officials. On Friday, August 14, Trump had announced he would designate the Strait of Hormuz as US territory once he has finished beating Iran. In a previous post on Truth Social, Trump reiterated that the number one objective is and will always be that Iran cannot possess, in any form, a nuclear weapon.
Strait blockade and oil impact
Iran has blocked the strait almost continuously since late February. The war was triggered on February 28 by joint US and Israeli strikes against Iran, which retaliated by striking Gulf countries allied with Washington. The US also imposed a blockade on Iranian ports. The closure has driven up global hydrocarbon prices. Iranian deputy foreign minister Kazem Gharibabadi responded to Trump's claims of controlling the strait with a post on X.
This strait will be opened and closed only on Iran's order.

