
Forest fire in Westerwald reaches 20 meters from homes before firefighters gain control
A forest fire in Gebhardshain, Rhineland-Palatinate, came within 20 meters of homes on 16 August, prompting the evacuation of 20 families before firefighters brought it under control.
Fire reaches within 20 meters of homes
A forest fire in the Westerwald region of Rhineland-Palatinate came within roughly 20 meters of residential buildings in Gebhardshain on the evening of Sunday, 16 August 2026. The fire broke out in a wooded area near the village, which lies about 60 kilometers east of Bonn in the Landkreis Altenkirchen, close to the border with North Rhine-Westphalia. Residents of a section of Im Eckewieschen street were ordered to leave their homes immediately, affecting 20 families. A spokesperson for the Verbandsgemeinde Betzdorf-Gebhardshain confirmed the evacuation. The population was urged to avoid the area around the fire site and keep access roads clear for emergency vehicles. Affected residents who had to leave their homes abruptly were able to use the local Grundschule and the Bürgerforum as shelters.
Response and containment
Around 250 emergency personnel were initially deployed, a figure that later rose to approximately 300. Farmers assisted with water barrels to support the water supply, and two helicopters were used for aerial water drops, with a third requested. A water tank for helicopter operations was filled to support the firefighting from the air. Fire crews concentrated on protecting the nearby Westerwald-Schule and surrounding buildings. By the early evening, the fire was reported largely under control, and the evacuation order was lifted. Residents were told they could return to their homes. The Verbandsgemeinde posted on Instagram thanking all emergency personnel who had been on site for hours with great dedication.
- Fire reaches within 20 meters of houses in Gebhardshain; 20 families evacuated from Im Eckewieschen street
- Fire largely under control; evacuation order lifted; residents told they can return
- Fire confirmed under control; 10 hectares affected; 4 firefighters injured, 1 hospitalized
- Operation expected to continue well into Monday; Westerwald-Schule cancels classes
Controlled burning continues
Björn Jestrimsky, fire and civil protection inspector for the Landkreis Altenkirchen, said that the spread toward residential areas had been prevented through the measures taken. He acknowledged that the fire continued to burn, but in the direction chosen by the emergency crews.
It is still burning strongly, but where we want it.
He added that the crews had set specific objectives for where the fire would ultimately be contained, and until then it was being allowed to burn in a controlled manner.
We have set ourselves certain goals where we will ultimately catch the fire. Until then, we are currently letting it burn in a controlled manner.
The affected forest area was being abandoned, according to the Landkreis. The operation was expected to continue well into Monday.
Casualties and damage
Four firefighters were injured during the operation, with one taken to hospital. The fire had spread to approximately 10 hectares by the evening. An initial estimate had put the burned area at about 6,000 square meters, with the figure rising through the evening as the fire moved through the forested terrain.
- Initial estimate
- 0.6 hectares
- By evening
- 10 hectares
The Westerwald-Schule cancelled classes for Monday, while a Grundschule in the town that had served as a shelter for evacuees planned to hold regular classes.
Other wildfire incidents that day
The fire in Gebhardshain was one of several wildfire incidents reported on 16 August. Belgian authorities requested German assistance to combat what was described as the largest forest fire in their country. Separately, residents in the municipality of Hürtgenwald in North Rhine-Westphalia were also evacuated, and an all-clear was later given for that area.


